Can railways be fully solar-powered


- Advertisement -

The main source of pollution from greenhouse gases is electricity. Lowering greenhouse gas pollution may be possible with government transportation policy changes. The most effective kind of transportation available to us is the train. Approximately 75% of trains worldwide run on electricity, with the other 25% on diesel.

To reduce the transportation sector’s greenhouse gas emissions. This necessitates switching to renewable energy. Within the field of renewable energy, solar transit is popular.

How do Solar Trains Work?

The train’s roof is equipped with solar panels that capture sunlight. Usually, photovoltaic cells which turn sunlight into electrical energy are used to make these panels.

When the solar panels are under direct sunlight, they produce direct current (DC) power. The train’s auxiliary systems are mostly powered by the electricity produced by the solar panels. These consist of various electrical components, communication systems, lighting, ventilation, and air conditioning. The train may save energy and operating expenses by using solar power for auxiliary systems, which lessens the need for onboard generators or other power sources.

Certain solar trains come with energy storage components, including batteries. Batteries can be used to store extra power produced by the solar panels during sunny days. When the train is operating in low light or when more power is required, the stored energy may be used, resulting in a more steady and dependable power source.

In certain systems, the electricity produced by the solar panels can help with the overall traction power, even if solar power might not be enough to move the train completely. Applications with lower power demands, such as light rail or commuter trains, are more likely to use this.

Some solar trains function as components of hybrid systems that integrate solar energy with alternative energy sources. This can include energy from regenerative braking devices in addition to regular electric power from third rails or overhead wires.


What Are the Difficulties Faced

Solar energy depends on the sun, which is inconsistent and fluctuates throughout the day and season. Trains run continually, and maintaining a stable power supply can be difficult in the absence of extra energy storage or backup sources. Trains particularly high-speed and large goods trains require a lot of energy. Due to the high surface area of solar panels required and the limits of existing solar technology, meeting these demands exclusively through solar power can be challenging. Railways frequently pass through highly populated or limited-space locations, making adequate space for solar installations, particularly ground-mounted systems, difficult to provide. It is difficult to integrate solar panels into existing infrastructure, including rail lines and stations, without disturbing operations.

Batteries and other efficient energy storage devices are needed to mitigate the intermittent nature of solar electricity. It also requires resolving technical issues with grid stability, voltage management, and synchronization when connecting solar-powered railroads with the electrical system. Installing solar infrastructure, including energy storage systems, inverters, and solar panels, can be expensive in the beginning stage.

Despite these obstacles, continued study and technical developments are making solar-powered railroads more feasible

Other Nations’ Electric Trains

The very first solar train: In Australia’s New South Wales, the first train to run entirely on solar power was installed almost 70 years ago. The North Byron Resort refurbished the train in 2017 and installed solar panels on its roofs, providing 6.6 kW of electricity.

The UK railway: The United Kingdom opened the world’s first railway line in 2019 that was powered by a 30-kW solar farm. The farm was constructed near the station to feed straight into it. Its sufficient capacity ensures that powering, signaling, and lighting won’t be an issue.

Indian railway: In 2017, Guwahati became home to India’s first 100% solar-powered power station. Solar trains in India feature panels on their roofs that provide electricity. India intends to lessen its dependence on a highly polluting energy source.

Simply said, trains that run on solar energy might happen. However, a solar system will be more helpful in the grid mix for decarbonizing trains than it will be for directly powering them.

Share post:



More like this

Implementing a Successful Recycling Program in Your Office

If you are someone who is running an office...

Best Practices for Sustainable Development

The sustainable practice is very important to keep the...

5 Eco-Friendly Products to Stock in Your Online Store

Consumers are now well aware about the environmental impact,...

Benefits of Exchanging Products

Sustainability is the very important factor in our lives...